Medieval fun and fantasy at Ballarat’s Kryal Castle

June 21, 2013 · 13 comments

Kryalcastlemainview

Does anyone at your house love a good story about mythical kings and queens?  About magical creatures and beautiful She-Dragons? If you answered yes then  the newly redeveloped Kryal Castle is going to win your heart instantly – and no doubt any little people you choose to take along too.   Based on life in medieval times but interwoven with stories of fun and fantasy it’s got something to appeal to everyone in the family.

kryalcastlewatching

The Castle  opens for visitors from 10am  and has a program of shows and activities running thorough out the day. From the wonderfully theatrical jousting competition to puppet shows, wizard workshops  and  story time it’s  the stuff of many children’s dreams.  And all set within medieval castle life with its grandeur and gruesomeness.

kryalcasltekidscollage

A lot of time and attention has been taken to make sure the little people are well entertained in the land of Kryal.     There is an upbeat puppet show at the Jesters Theater.  It’s based on Ushnagh, the She-Dragon who lives deep in the mountain on which the castle rests and King Arlen and Queen Cordelia of Kryal.   There is also story time and face-painting at the  Fairies and Golblins Wonderland and a fabulous castle playground the just keeps calling the kids back again and again.  The Tooth Fairy even gets a mention with her very own lolly shop!   You can check out a full run down of the shows and attractions on the Kryal Castle website.

kryalcastleplaypark

Option for mealtime  are good with several different eateries. On the cool winters day we visited there was even soup being sold on the side walk by a handsome Lord.   Prices are varied, but as with most theme parks tends to be a little on the higher side – which is always a consideration when feeding a family.    Bringing your own lunch in is  a great option as the Castle is well equipped with a lovely picnic area right next to the playground. Perfect for parents to relax while the little people are playing.

Kryalcastlesword

The castle grounds give you a great feel for medieval life.  With cobbled street ways, wooden shop fronts and well placed artefacts of interest you have no doubt you’re roaming around on a medieval adventure.   You can visit the Knights Round Table and the Kings Throne Room, attend a workshop with a real live wizard and even check out the Torture & Dungeon Museum.  (The Museum is recommended for people over the age of 12 only.)    After a few hours wandering the castle you almost get used to  being addressed as My Lord or My Lady by the wandering locals.

kryalcastlestreet

According to my small tribe of medieval fantasy seeker their highlight of our day at Kryal Castle was the  ’amazing’ (their word) stone maze.  Be warned though, it is not as easy as it looks – but totally worth the effort when you reach the end.

kryalcastlemaze

You can also make  the most of your medieval stay by booking into one of the 17 luxury on-site Castle Suites.  Recently refurbished  with modern comfort, but still fit for the grandest of Lords and Ladies, the suits look fabulous.   The rooms feature lovely hand woven French and Belgian tapestries and views out over the beautiful country Victorian landscape.   You can find  more information about booking accommodation, weddings, birthday parties and conference at the  Kryal Castle Website.

kryalcastleaccommodation

The new and improved Kryal Castle is a great day out and one my family certainly enjoyed.  I’d recommend spending a minimum of three hours but think you’ll probably need at least four.   It is open from 10.00am until 5.00pm every day of the year including public holidays (except Christmas Day).    As at June 2013 admission prices are:

• Adults $28.50
  • Children (4-16 years) $17
  • Children (under 4) Free
  • Concession $23
  • Students (4-16yrs, min. group size 15) $14.50
  • Education Discovery Programs (min. group size 15) $16.50
  • Families $79 (2 adults and up to 3 children)

kryalcastleforbadbloggers

Just a little side note – this is what happens to bloggers who won’t agreed to visit the Torture & Dungeon Museum!!

signature

kryalcastleview

Disclaimer:  I was provided with a free family entry into Kryal Castle for the purpose of writing this review for Ballarat For Families. No money or financial incentive was offered or accepted.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 tammy June 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm

hi we are coming over the last week in july and i am sure my 13 year old and my hubby would love to visit… what days are u open

2 Veronica marjs December 27, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I must say that my children and the rest of the family did not enjoy it very much, the shows were boring and the rest of every thing very average for the price we paid we expected much more, we went with four other groups who also thaught the same

3 Caz December 27, 2014 at 9:26 pm

That’s a a shame Veronica. Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy it. Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate it.

4 Chris March 22, 2014 at 1:07 am

I would like to bring my 11 year old daughter to stay at Kryal Castle for 2 or maybe 3 nights. Dates could be 14,15,16 April or 22,23,24 April. Probably can only afford 2 nights at $150 rooms. Are there any specials I can get with entry to the Castle. Medieval banquet. Entry into Sovereign Hill. And the night time experience. I have a really tight budget and will probably bus it to save on petrol. Please let me know the best deal to be able to give my Daughter a great time…she has had a very horrific time so I want to make it really special. I have a pension Card which might make it a little cheaper for us. Please give me options for the best deals. Many Thanks. Chris

5 Caz April 17, 2014 at 11:40 am

So sorry I only just saw this. I hope you came and enjoyed your trip to Ballarat. 🙂
Caz recently posted..Moving Bodies Moving Boundaries {e.motion21 ~ Ballarat}My Profile

6 Toushka June 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I really want to take the kids to Kryal these holidays. It’s on our list.

7 Shelly B June 25, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I want to go there – my boys are the perfect age. Would be perfect for the school holidays. How long does it take to get there from Melbourne?

8 Angela East June 24, 2013 at 9:30 pm

looks awesome Caz! Can’t believe we have never been. Definitely on the agenda over the next few months now!
Angela East recently posted..I’m not a fashion blogger but…*GIVEAWAY*My Profile

9 Caz June 25, 2013 at 2:34 pm

It’s well worth it. Thanks Angela 🙂
Caz recently posted..What we bought at the BIGW Toy Spectacular.My Profile

10 Sonia Life Love Hiccups June 23, 2013 at 2:41 pm

What an awesome place. My boys would LOVE it there! x
Sonia Life Love Hiccups recently posted..There Comes a Time You’ve Just Gotta Give In To WinterMy Profile

11 Caz June 25, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Boys would have all ball there!! Next time you’re down south you’ll have to check it out 🙂
Caz recently posted..What we bought at the BIGW Toy Spectacular.My Profile

12 Carly W June 23, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Oh my goodness! I hope they let you out of that contraption and didn’t throw rotten fruit at you!

I remember this place…. must have been taken there as a child ….. a long long time ago … not quite medieval times though … phew….. I’m not that old yet LOL.

This looks like so much fun. Do you think a 4 year old would enjoy it?

xoxo Carly

13 Caz June 25, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Yes. They’ve set it up to appeal a wide age range. The dragon story and the magical theme make it great for little people!!
Caz recently posted..What we bought at the BIGW Toy Spectacular.My Profile