If you’re on the ball you’ll realize that National Tree Day was actually last month/week. But just in case you didn’t hear about it, it’s Australia’s largest annual tree planting and nature care day – that took place on July 29th. If you’ve got school aged kids I’m sure you’re all up in this - because mine came home chattering about it all last week.
Trees are great. I say this not just because I’m married to my own khaki wearing Australian native nature defender (aka nature boy) but because research backs me up. Living in a culture where houses are getting bigger while the backyards shrinks and more focus is put on electronic indoor entertainment, I think it’s really important to remember the impact of nature for our kids. Here are a couple of interesting facts discussed during National Tree Day:
- There is an emerging body of local and international research linking childhood contact with nature with a range of health and well being benefits.
- A US study found that stress levels were reduced for children with high levels of nearby nature (nature close to their homes) compared with those with little nearby.
- A study found that children in areas with trees and vegetation show more creative social play than children in more barren, hard-surfaced or built play areas.
- A US-based study of children aged 3-16 years found that children living in greener neighbourhoods had lower BMI scores after two years.
Toyota are big supporters of National Tree Day (nice one Toyota) and in celebration of all things tree and nature related they’ve provided a $100 Bunnings gift voucher for me to giveaway so you can get some more nature happening around your place. Native trees, shrubs, grasses – the choice is yours. To enter follow these steps:
- Leave a comment below sharing an inspirational game or idea to encourage kids to play more outside in nature.
- If you are nice enough to share this giveaway on facebook or twitter please feel free to leave a second entry comment.
- Follow The Truth About Mummy in any way you like (facebook, twitter, email or reader feed)
- Giveaway is open until Midnight on the 17th of August and has a total value of approx $100.
- (Check the T&C tab for full T&C).
- Disclaimer: All opinions are my own. I didn’t receive any payment or enticement to post this giveaway – I simply believe in concept of National Tree Day.